Departamento de Ingeniería de Sistemas y Automática Universidad Miguel Hernández de Elche Avda. Universidad s/n, Edif. Innova, 03202 Elche (Alicante), Spain E-mail: URL (teaching): http://www.umh.es/profesores/fichaprofesor.asp?NP=5404 Phone: + 34 96 665 8902 Fax: + 34 96 665 8979 Twitter: @jmazorin
ACADEMIC STUDIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- October 2003: PhD on Robotics: Summa Cum Laude (Award for the Best Thesis of the Department). Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Spain
- July 1997: MSc on Computer Science. Alicante University, Spain.
- From Nov. 2017: Professor with Tenure of the Systems Engineering and Automation Department at Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Spain.
- Jan. 2017 – Jul. 2017: Visiting Researcher in the Laboratory for Noninvasive Brain- Machine Interface Systems (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering) at University of Houston (USA).
- Dec. 2003 to Nov. 2017: Associate Professor with Tenure of the Systems Engineering and Automation Department at Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Spain.
- Jun. 2011 to May 2015: Head of the Systems Engineering and Automation Department at Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Spain.
- Jul. 2010 – Aug. 2010: Visiting Researcher in the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London (United Kingdom).
- Oct. 2000 – Dec. 2003: Assistant Professor of the Industrial Systems Engineering Department at Miguel Hernández University of Elche.
- Sep. 2000: Visiting Researcher at INRIA (National Research Center of Computer Science and Automatioin) – Sophia Antipolis (France).
- Aug. 1999: Visiting Researcher at the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brazil).
- Feb. 1999 – Oct. 2000: Researcher at the Department of Engineering at Miguel Hernández University of Elche. Grant of the Spanish Government.
MANAGEMENT, INTERNATIONAL DUTIES
- April 2016 – to date: Member of the IEEE Brain Initiative Core Team
- Sept. 2013 – to date: Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Systems Council
- 2013 – 2017: IEEE Systems Council Representative to IEEE Region 8 Chapter Coordinating Committee.
- 2012 – 2017: Member of the Advisory Committee of the IEEE Systems Council (RAS Representative Member).
- 2012 – 2017: Member of the Publications Board of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS).
- Jan. 2019 – Dec. 2021: WALK – Controlling lower-limb exoskeletons by means of brain-machine interfaces to assist people with walking disabilities. Role: PI. Funding agencies: Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities; Spanish State Agency of Research; and European Union through the European Regional Development Fund (RTI2018-096677-B-I00).
- Jan. 2015 – Dec. 2019: Associate – Decoding and stimulation of motor and sensory brain activity to support long term potentiation through Hebbian and paired associative stimulation during rehabilitation of gait. Role: PI. Funding agency: Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Spain (DPI2014-58431-C4-2-R).
- Jan. 2016 – Dec. 2019: Reasiste – Iberoamerican Network on Rehabilitation and Assistance of Patients with Neurologic Damage using Low-Cost Robotic Exoskeletons. Role: PI. Funding agency: Iberoamerican Program of Science and Technology for the Development (CYTED).
SELECTED PREVIOUS PROJECTS
- Dic. 2015 – Nov. 2017: NeuroTec – Research Network on Neurotechnologies for Assistance and Rehabilitation. Role: PI. Funding agency: Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Spain (DPI2015-69098-REDT).
- Oct. 2013 – Sept. 2016: BioMot – Smart Wearable Robots with Bioinspired Sensory-Motor Skills. Role: UMH Coordinator. Funding agency: European Union under Grant Agreement number FP7-ICT-2013-10-611695.
- Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2014: Development of a Multimodal Brain-Neural Interface to Control an Exoskeletal – Neuroprosthesis Hybrid Robotic System for the Upper Limb. Role: Coordinator. Funding agency: Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (Spain).
- Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2015: Iberada – Iberoamerican network for the study and development of ICT applications based on interfaces adapted to people with disabilities. Role: PI. Funding agency: Iberoamerican Program of Science and Technology for the Development (CYTED).
- Feb. 2013 – Feb. 2014: Communication system of basic needs based on EEG signals for people with severe brain damage. Role: Coordinator. Funding agency: MAPFRE Foundation (Spain).
- Oct. 2010 – Jun. 2012: Multimodal interfaces to improve therApeutic outcomes in robot-Assisted rehabiliTation (MAAT). Role: Researcher. Funding agency: European Union (Framework Programme 7) project ECHORD (European clearing house for open robotics development)
- Jan. 2009 – Dec. 2011: Control of Telerobotic Systems by Advanced Interfaces for Disabled People. Role: Coordinator. Funding agency: Ministry of Science and Innovation (Spain).
- March 2010 – March 2011: Internet Browsing System based on Electrooculography for Disabled People. Role: Coordinator. Funding agency: MAPFRE Foundation (Spain).
- Jan. 2008 – March 2009: Non-invasive Brain Interface for Disabled People to Control a Domotic System. Role: Coordinator. Funding agency: MAPFRE Foundation (Spain).
- Jan. 2006 – Dec. 2009: Development of multifunctional microprobe arrays for cerebral applications. Role: Researcher. Funding agency: European Union (Framework Programme 6).
- 2013: Guest Editor for the Special Issue on «Systems-related topics in Robotics & Automation for human health» of IEEE Systems Journal.
- 2012: Guest Editor for the Special Issue on «Multimodal Human-Robots Interfaces» of IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews.
- 2012: Guest Editor for the Special Issue on «Human-Robot Interaction/Interface» of Applied Bionics & Biomechanics.
- 2011: Guest Editor for the Special Issue on «Interfaces y sistemas en rehabilitación y compensación funcional para la autonomía personal y la terapia clínica» of Revista Iberoamericana de Automática e Informática Industrial.
SELECTED INVITED LECTURES
- “Brain-Machine Interfaces for Rehabilitation Exoskeletons”. International Workshop on Assistive Technology. 2-6 February 2015. Vitoria, Brazil.
- “Neuro-interfacing with Robotic Exoskeletons”. Technology & Medicine Fall 2014 Seminar Series. Organized by: Columbia Engineering & Columbia Medical Center. Columbia University. November 18, 2014. New York City, USA.
- “BMI control of robotic exoskeletons”, Tutorial on Brain-Machine Interaction: From Neural Decoding to Real-World Applications. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. October 5-8, 2014, San Diego, CA, USA.
- “Neural interfacing in the BioMot EU project”, Session 1.2: Neural Interfacing with WRs. International Workshop on Wearable Robotics. 14-19 September 2014, Baiona, Spain.
- “Brain-Machine Interfaces for Robotic Exoskeletons”. Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante (Spanish Research Council, CSIC, and Miguel Hernandez University of Elche). May 23, 2014.
- “Neuro-Robotics Interfaces”. Session about “Neuroscience and robotics to develop assistive devices in rehabilitation therapy”. XXXI National Conference of Medicine Students. IX International Edition. October 16, 2013.
- “Controlling robots using brain-machine interfaces”. School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. University of Manchester. Manchester (The United Kingdom). July 16, 2013.
- “Interacting with robots using brain-computer interfaces”. Department of Mechanical Engineering. University of South Florida. Tampa, Florida (USA). April 16, 2013.
- “Using Brain-Machine Interfaces in Rehabilitation Robotics”. BioRob 2012 Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Rehabilitation Exoskeletons. Rome (Italy). June 24, 2012.
- SSNR 2013. Organizing Committee Member of the 2013 Summer School on Neurorehabilitation, September 15-20, Elche, Spain.
- SysCon 2013 – Tutorial. Organizer of the Tutorial on «Brain-Machine Interface (BMI) Systems» in conjunction with the IEEE Systems Conference, April 15 – 18, 2013, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- BioRob 2012 – Workshop. Co-Organizer of the Workshop on «Innovative Technologies for Rehabilitation Exoskeletons» in conjunction with the IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, June 24-27, 2012, Roma, Italy.
- IWINAC 2011 – Session. Co-Organizer of the session «New Challenges in Brain-Machine Interfaces» in the framework of the 4th. INTERNATIONAL WORK-CONFERENCE?on the INTERPLAY between NATURAL and ARTIFICIAL COMPUTATION -IWINAC2011, May 30 – June 3, 2011.
- ICRA 2010 – Workshop. Co-Organizer of the ICRA Workshop on «Multimodal Human-Robot Interfaces» in conjunction with the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May 3-8, 2010, Anchorage, Alaska.
- ICRA 2009 – Workshop. Co-Organizer of the ICRA Workshop on «Interfacing the Human and the Robot (IHR)» in conjunction with the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May 12-17, 2009, Kobe, Japan.
- Bioengineering Simposium 2009. Chair of the Spanish CEA Bioengineering Simposium, June 1-2, 2009, Elche, Alicante, Spain.
- EURON-UMH Winter School 2008. Organizing Committee Member of the Third International EURON-UMH Winter School on Rehabilitation Robotics, March 30 – April 4, 2008.
- EURON-UMH Winter School 2007. Organizing Committee Member of the Second International EURON-UMH Winter School on Parallel Robots, March 25-30, 2007, Benidorm, Alicante, Spain.
- EURON-UMH Winter School 2006. General Chair of the First International EURON-UMH Winter School on Telesurgery, March 26-31, 2006, Benidorm, Alicante, Spain.